Have you ever visited a beach and got fascinated by surfers? Surfing is one of the fun sports that has thrill and adventure combined. It makes one feel euphoric.
But the question is if it is good for health or not. In short, surfing brings many health benefits. Surfing has proven to bring improvement not only in mental health but also physical health conditions. So let’s find out about it by taking a deep dive into the ocean of knowledge.
- Improved Heart Health: One of the major health benefits that surfing comes with is improvement in heart conditions. It takes a lot of effort to paddle out against the waves. Continuous padding makes the cardiovascular muscles pump hard which further enhances the heart. This reduces the risk of heart attacks, strokes, and other cardiovascular issues.
- Burns Calories: If you do land exercise regularly, then you would know how much it takes to burn calories. When it comes to surfing, burning calories can be done easily and quickly. Surfing for an hour or more daily can help in burning between 500-800 calories. Isn’t it amazing? So bring intensity in your sessions and burn calories in no time.
- Improved Immune System: Another benefit that comes with surfing is an improved immune system. Little do people know, that cool water is really beneficial for health. When regular submerging in cold water takes place, it automatically helps in boosting the immune system. This is because cold water has anti-inflammatory properties. It eases pain, tension, headaches, and releases stress hormones. Just make sure that you are not sensitive to the fatal effects of cold shocks.
- Healthy Skin and Hair: Another major benefit that surfing provides is better health conditions of skin and hair. Do you know why? This is because saltwater is naturally exfoliating. It helps in detoxing all the chemicals, dirt, and other substances. When talking about hair, the saltwater cleanses the scalp completely which enhances hair from the root.
- Stress Relief: Stress is natural and one of the most common problems in today’s time. It causes physical harm to the body and makes you feel tired without even doing anything. Stress leads to other problems as well where one might feel anxious, depressed, and more. Surfing has proved to be challenging stress in many ways. This is because surfing is a fun activity and it is something that people enjoy. During sport, endorphins are released in your body and this will help to lower stress levels.
- Improved Balance: One of the best benefits that surfing provides is improved balance. Surfing takes a lot of technique and balance since you need to perform the pop-up and stand on your board while riding the wave. When practiced regularly, surfing can enhance balance that further improves functional movement in everyday life.
The health benefits of surfing do not end here. The list is longer than one can imagine. So if you think you want to be a part of this sport, then you have made the right decision. Pick your surf board and get ready. With several health benefits, diving into the ocean would surely give you the best memories too.